|This article is about a piece of terminology in multiple series.|
It may contain spoilers for each.
The wanya (わにゃ), also called wanyan or meowoof, is a recurring blob-like creature in Ryukishi07's works that appears to be his author avatar. The wanya is sometimes associated with a fictional video game titled WanyaDora (わにゃドラ WanyaDora) or other similarly-named games and objects.
The wanya has also been referred to as "Namekuchi" and as a slug.
List of Appearances
This list is sorted by chronological release date.
|Umineko When They Cry||The wanyan is first mentioned in the Tea Party of Twilight of the Golden Witch as a pet that Gertrude owns. Wanyans can also be used to make food.|
|Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni||In the Second Night, the characters Shuuichi Arimori and Nafumi Shintani have wanyans attached to the neck stumps on their body sprites. Because the sprites are composites, these are hidden in-game behind the head portions and can only be seen if users decompile the game files.|
|Rose Guns Days||Last Season references a wanyan-flavored drink.|
|TRianThology||In the Vespio 2438 story, Violetta has a wanya chain attached to her rifle.|
|Iwaihime||WanyaDora is first mentioned as a game.|
|Hotarubi no Tomoru Koro ni||Teruya Tadamura plays the game on his phone at various points of the story.|
|Harem Royale||Liru has WanyaDora on her smartphone and encourages Asunaro to download it.|
|Ciconia When They Cry||Many characters play WanyaDora, including Lilja, Koshka and Miyao. Naomi also wears a wanya pin in her hair.|
|Higurashi: When They Cry - GOU and SOTSU||
|Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou (manga)||Onidamashi Chapter 3 has Keiichi watching a TV show called "Meitantei Wanyan", a parody of Detective Conan.|
|LOOPERS||A game called WanyaGO is referenced (unnamed in the official English translation), and also features a horse race with a horse named Wanyan Daio (called "Lighting Bolt" in the official English translation).|
|Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei (manga)||Oniokoshi Chapter 3 features lookalikes of Grave Mole as Angel Mort waitresses advertising a fictional collaboration with "Wanyan no Naku Koro ni". The collab features a dessert plate with a wanya, Keropoyo, and a golden butterfly seemingly referencing Umineko.|
WanyaDora Gameplay and Features
It can be surmised from scenes in Ciconia that WanyaDora focuses around collecting and trading resources and monsters, combining them to become stronger. Collecting hearts from friends and engaging in pvp are also main features. Monsters also have rarities, similar to gacha games. Convincing people to install the game presumably gives players bonuses.
- Wanyan is translated as meowoof because "wan" is the Japanese syllable for "woof," and "nyan" is the Japanese syllable for "meow." The "dora" part of the WanyaDora title comes from "doragon," the Romaji pronunciation of "dragon." Ryukishi07 can be literally translated as Dragon Knight 07.
- The title may also be a reference to the game Puzzle & Dragons, which is often abbreviated in Japanese as PazuDora.
- The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers
- Twilight of the Golden Witch Tea Party. Lambdadelta: "Even I got a female meowoof a few days back. You can make awesome konpeitou with them too!"
- Rose Guns Days: Last Season Chapter 1: Coming Home. Narration: "A red-bean soup drink. An eel-liver-flavored Japanese clear soup drink. A thick, salty milkshake, wanyan flavored."
- Phase 1, Chapter 25. "Anyone up for a WanyaDora trade? I just need a Tanuki to make an East Circle summoned beast." "I can get you a Tanuki! You can have it for ten Tempura☆"
- Phase 1 Data Fragment: Koshka's WanyaDora Adventure. Koshka:
"...I need 800 Stardust Scrubs...right now." Miyao:
"Ah, and you can get a lot of those in that event dungeon they're doing now. ...So is that what this is about? You want me to earn a bunch of those, and then just give them all to you?"
- Phase 1, Chapter 3. Miyao: "Then start packing your friend list today! You'll have so many WanyaDora hearts, you won't know what to do with them."
- Phase 1 Data Fragment: Koshka's WanyaDora Adventure. Lilja:
"Mmmeoooow!! That's a 13 combooooo, meeeeew!!" Koshka: "Gaaaaaaaaaah, I lost agaaaaaaain!!" (...) Miyao: "...And so, you want my help." Koshka: "It's not that she's good. She just has OP monsters!"
- Phase 1, Chapter 3. Fatma: "Oh, you do WanyaDora? Hey, hey, who's your main?!" Noor: "Heheheh. I use an ultra-rare Wanyanus I built up into a counter stop."
- Phase 1 Data Fragment: Koshka's WanyaDora Adventure. Miyao: "...Ah, you mean Lilja's main, the SSR 40-Year-Old Chubby Wanyan? Yeah, that is absurdly strong. I get you there."
- Phase 1, Chapter 3. Miyao's Narration: "Across from us, Lingji is installing WanyaDora with Miyao's referral ID..."