This article or section contains untagged major spoilers for all of Umineko When They Cry, possibly including the manga. Readers who have not completed the story are advised not to proceed further.
This article attempts to describe solutions to the gameboard's mysteries in Turn of the Golden Witch. It is primarily based on content from the manga versions of the final two arcs, which Ryukishi07 has stated to be an official answer from him.
Willard's solutions and the elaborations in the Requiem of the Golden Witch manga are the most direct solutions and are taken verbatim from the story. In addition, the page will contain additional information as well as solutions to other mysteries based interviews, side materials, and story content from analogous scenes in the Twilight of the Golden Witch manga. Clair's descriptions of the mysteries are also listed whenever they exist.
This page only aims to describe the whodunnit and howdunnit of the mysteries. There is a wealth of additional emotional subtext behind many of these scenes that will not be described here due to its greater reliance on reader interpretation of the scenes themselves. We strongly encourage rereading the story in order to discover this for yourself.
|Culprit||Sayo Yasuda, who appears as Shannon, Kanon, and Beatrice.|
|Common Accomplices||Genji Ronoue, Chiyo Kumasawa, Terumasa Nanjo, and Maria Ushiromiya.|
|Accomplice Roulette||Rosa Ushiromiya and Toshiro Gohda|
|X||Different coconspirators each time.|
All adults are in need of money. Buying their cooperation is easy.
|Y||Any lies that all parties agree upon are depicted as reality.|
Even better when it pertains to locked rooms. Those who see golden butterflies are either on the culprit’s side or dead. Those who haven’t been bought off will not see the butterflies until thirty minutes before their death.
|Z||Someone please stop me.|
I won’t pray for absolute certainty. I want you to solve it, so I won’t put too much pressure on you. Winning by killing everyone or losing by having my mystery solved are both outcomes I desire.
Before the Murders
Sayo enlists the help of Kumasawa and Nanjo in setting up a fake murder mystery for Battler. Genji is told the true nature of Sayo's murder-suicide plan, but still pledges his cooperation due to his loyalty and a sense of guilt for having contributed to Sayo's suffering.
Sayo played the part of Beatrice, wearing an outfit and blond wig, and gave Maria a letter. She bribed Rosa with a promise of gold and also gave her a letter. Rosa was told to read her letter at dinner, however this does not happen. Gohda was also recruited by Sayo.
As Sayo was fully dressed as a human Beatrice, Kyrie saw that Sayo resembled the portrait of the witch and informed everyone of a 19th guest, reinforcing the idea that Beatrice was actually present on the island and that the letters were legitimate. Having testimony come from Kyrie that Beatrice was real was also important for this.
Second game, first twilight. The six with their stomachs split in the closed room chapel.
- Regardless of whether they were living or dead, the six definitely entered through the [chapel] door
- Only one key to the chapel exists
- It is impossible to unlock the lock to the chapel with anything but the chapel's key
- When the door to the chapel is locked, it prevents any and all methods of entry or exit
- The six definitely entered through 'this front door'
- This morning, Rosa definitely took an envelope out of Maria's handbag...and from that obtained the genuine key to the chapel
- The key to the chapel truly was the object inside the envelope [Beatrice] gave Maria
- The envelope that [Beatrice] handed over to Maria and the one Rosa opened are the same thing
- From the time Maria received her key to the instant Rosa unsealed the envelope the next day, the key passed through no one's hands!!
- There were no doors with auto-locks other than Kinzo's study!
- The six people were already dead by the time they were discovered! All of their deaths were homicides! All six were genuine victims, and did not take part in a mutual murder! There was no simultaneous murder!!
- There was no one hiding in the chapel. Therefore, the shut-in murder like you say does not work!
- When the six were killed in the chapel, the culprit was inside the chapel!
|Will's Solution||Illusions to illusions. ...The gold truth locks the lock of illusions.|
|Manga Description||Rosa was bought off. All the servants and Nanjo are co-conspirators. The lock on the door was an agreed-upon story.|
|Additional Information||Sayo invited all the adults to the chapel, where everyone except Rosa partook in a drink that had been laced with poison. They were then killed and their corpses mutilated.
At some point, the Seventh Magic Circle of the Sun was drawn on the chapel door, which was left unlocked; the reds do not actually say that the door was locked. Rosa and the servants pretended that it was locked in the morning to give off an illusion of a closed room. This was done at midnight to give the siblings, excepting Rosa who was promised the gold, time to solve the epitaph.
Second game, second twilight. The two who are close cannot even be close as corpses.
- The only master keys are the ones held by the servants, one key each
- There are absolutely no types of hidden doors. This door is the only way in or out. The only way to lock this door is with Jessica's single key or the master keys, only one of which is held by each servant
- The window is locked from the inside
- Kanon was killed in this room
- When locked, entry is not possible by any means
- No trick could have the effect of locking the door from the outside without using a key
- Kanon was killed in this room
- There are no hidden doors in this room. There is no way to get in or out other than the door and the windows
- There are no hidden doors
- Kanon died along with Jessica in Jessica's room!
|Will's Solution||Illusions to illusions. ...Illusions who have fulfilled their role do not even leave a corpse behind.|
|Manga Description||Kanon's body does not exist.|
|Additional Information||Kanon killed Jessica in her room. Sayo then killed off her Kanon persona for easier travel.Sayo playing the parts of Shannon and Kanon meant she had two sets of master keys. She left the room key on the desk and one master key inside Jessica's pocket and then changed into Shannon. Either Sayo/Shannon, Gohda, or Genji locked the room and painted the First Magic Circle of the Moon on the door.
At some point, Rosa went to the study to retrieve a Winchester and was informed by Sayo that Kinzo had been dead for almost two years.
Fourth, Fifth, and Sixth Twilights
Second game, fourth, fifth, and sixth twilights. In Natsuhi's closed room, none are left alive.
- Natsuhi's room was exactly the same, just like usual. The door and the windows were locked from the inside. There were no fraud or tricks, no means of secret passage nor places in which to hide. Natsuhi's own key was in George's pocket, and the inside of the room was sealed off. Only the five master keys were left, and 'Rosa' was holding all of them. And let me say this: the parlor's the same. The key to the parlor itself is sealed away in the servant room. So unlocking it without a master key is impossible! The definition of a closed room remains the same as always!
- All of the master keys were under Rosa's control!
- After the master keys came into Rosa's control, never did any of them leave her hands! Except for the time when she lent one to Battler to unlock Natsuhi's room.
- Natsuhi's room was LOCKED. The lock on Natsuhi's room was declared active by Battler, the detective at that TIME. Knox's seventh commandment: The detective must not be the CULPRIT. Battler cannot be an accomplice—he cannot repeat someone else's LIES. Miss Beatrice's locked rooms cannot all be explained away as matching STORIES!
|Will's Solution||Earth to earth. ...No one would dispute that a coffin is a closed room.|
|Manga Description||Shannon killed Gohda, then George, and then committed suicide.|
|Additional Information||Shannon made handprints on the door, placed a stake doused with makeup next to her in advance, and chose her dying position to be face down slumped over the cabinet to give off the illusion the stake had simply fallen out. Shannon then shot herself with a gun that fell behind Natsuhi's dresser.
Different tricks are explained for how this was possible. One trick is that the gun had a weight attached to it, with the recoil from Shannon firing the gun pulling it behind the dresser. The Twilight manga suggests the gun was tied to the dresser itself, with the recoil from firing knocking the gun behind. The room was never thoroughly examined, so the gun was left inside.
Seventh and Eighth Twilights
Second game, seventh and eighth twilights. The two sliced to death by the red-eyed illusion.
- They would definitely never mistakenly think that any other person was Kanon!
- No one else can go by Kanon's name! A different person can't claim that as their name!
|Will's Solution||Earth to earth. Illusions to illusions. ...No illusion can create a corpse.|
|Manga Description||The one who killed them was Genji.|
|Additional Information||After Genji killed Nanjo and Kumasawa (at any point after Battler last saw them alive and before Battler met Genji after searching Natsuhi's room), their bodies were taken and hidden to be discovered later.
Shannon, Gohda, and Genji then returned from the servants room to relay a false report of a fake Kanon killing them.
Ninth Twilight (The Witch's Letter IV)
- And let me say this: the parlor's the same. The key to the parlor itself is sealed away in the servant room. So unlocking it without a master key is impossible! The definition of a closed room remains the same as always!
Because Rosa and Maria are accomplices, it is possible for one of them to place the letter when Battler isn't looking.
The bomb was activated sometime on the second day. Once the clock struck 24:00, it triggered the activation of 900 tons of explosives, killing the remaining survivors, shattering Kinzo's corpse, and "bringing them to the Golden Land".
Rule Y comes into effect after 23:30 of Oct 5., as Battler was taken into Kinzo's study to meet Beatrice and witnessed the ensuing fantasy scene because Those who haven’t been bought off will not see the butterflies until thirty minutes before their death.
- Say It In Red! An Interview with Ryukishi07 Ryukishi07: "By no means is the manga version a individual interpretation. It is an official answer from me, Ryukishi07."
- Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga). Confession of the Golden Witch 3. Kumasawa and Nanjo: "Oh? A pretend murder? Of course we will play along!"
- Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga). Confession of the Golden Witch 3. Sayo: "Even if I told you that I wanted to die along with the rest of the family?" Genji: "It was my fault that you were placed under such incredible pressure in the first place. I, Genji, will serve you to the very end."
- Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga) Chapter 24: Confession of the Golden Witch 3. Sayo: "But on the other hand it might also become very enjoyable to present myself as the actual living Beatrice."
- Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga) Chapter 24: Confession of the Golden Witch 3. Sayo: "I doubt whether Rosa could be open to discussion based on Maria's life, but she should be open to the promise of gold."
- Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga) Chapter 24: Confession of the Golden Witch 3. Sayo: "A petty villain like Gohda should be easily bribed and made into a valuable member involved in the secret agreement." The background shows the scene from Turn of Gohda and Jessica inside the VIP room.
- Turn of the Golden Witch Chapter 7: 'Furniture' and 'People.' Kyrie: "...I also met with her. I greeted...well, I couldn't really call it that. I exchanged a few words with her. ...It's definitely not something that Rosa-san just saw wrong." Battler: "Kyrie-san, are you serious...?" Kyrie: "Yes. ...But she didn't tell me her name. So I can't say for certain that she was Beatrice."
- Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga) Chapter 24: Confession of the Golden Witch 3. Sayo: "A clear downside is that Kyrie is fast to doubt people."
- Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga) Chapter 24:Confession of the Golden Witch 3. Sayo: "If I put poison into the drinks they toast with I can bring it to a fast end."
- 'Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga) Confession of the Golden Witch 3. Sayo: "But I don't need to go through all these laborious methods when I have the golden magic spell of matching stories! With my magic......I can pull off any locked-room trick......any corpse disappearing trick......any impossible murder, and frame anyone I want!!" The background shows the servants standing outside the chapel.
- Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga) Chapter 24: Confession of the Golden Witch 3. Sayo: "If I kill either Shannon or Kanon early on then moving around after that will become so much easier."
- Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga) Chapter 24: Confession of the Golden Witch 3. Sayo: "With the two sets of keys I carry, that of Shannon and Kanon...if done right I can also pull off some locked room tricks."
- Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga) Chapter 6: Halloween Party 1. Beatrice is seen wearing gloves and painting handprints on Natsuhi's door.
- Answer to the Golden Witch. Ryukishi07: I especially wrote that she was “slumped over, face down, over the makeup cabinet”. And while the other two in the room were actually pierced by the stakes, Shannon was not. That is why you can imagine her being the last to die in that room, because there was nobody left to insert the stake into the gunwound. There was never a full inspection of that special room, so that means that the weapon was left within it.(...)even before the incident in Natsuhi’s room happened, there was the atmosphere of “Let’s preserve the crime scene until the police arrives.”, it could have been behind the cabinet or even in the space under the bed. Even if you cast only a little shadow over it, it will already be out of view.
- Answer to the Golden Witch. Ryukishi07: Because we have come so far, I think I can give you an answer, though it is basically the same trick as with the well. Shannon died face down, slumped over the makeup cabinet. It’s a really simple trick. You tie the weapon to a heavy object with a string, then you throw the heavy object behind the cabinet. And then it’s the classic trick, when you commit suicide, the gun is pulled behind the cabinet towards the heavy object.
- Our Confession. Narration: Shannon tied a pistol to the end of the rope opposite to that of the dumbbell. And then she carefully lowered the dumbbell into the crevice between the altar and the stained glass window. The middle of the rope was caught against the corner of the altar. Since the dumbbell was heavier than the pistol, as soon as she lets go, everything, gun and all, will be pulled into the crevice.(+ more)
- Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga) Confession of the Golden Witch 3. Sayo: "Tying up the gun with wire and using the recoil of the shot to knock it behind some furniture to hide the weapon, that kind of thing."
- 'Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga) Confession of the Golden Witch 3. Sayo: "But I don't need to go through all these laborious methods when I have the golden magic spell of matching stories! With my magic......I can pull off any locked-room trick......any corpse disappearing trick......any impossible murder, and frame anyone I want!!" The background of Sayo's narration shows the fake Kanon poking around in his chest wound.