Tsumihoroboshi (罪滅し編 Tsumihoroboshi-hen, lit. Atonement Chapter), also known as the Atonement Arc in the manga, is the second story arc of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai and the sixth in the overall series. It was released at Comiket 68 on August 14, 2005 and followed by Minagoroshi.
The original release of Tsumihoroboshi includes the previous chapter.
- 1 Introduction
- 2 Plot Summary
- 3 Characters
- 4 Release History
- 5 Adaptations
- 6 Openings
- 7 Gallery
- 8 External Links
~The First Fall~
- Atonement Chapter -
How Is your reasoning toward the truth coming along?
The next tragedy Is ready for you. Enjoy.
This is a humorous story with a tragic struggle at the end.
The difficulty is zero. You can just enjoy the clowns milling about.
- Main article: Tsumihoroboshi-hen/Plot Summary
This chapter has perspectives switching between Keiichi Maebara and Rena Ryuugu. Rena's divorced dad is dating a new woman named Rina. When Rina tries to break their family apart, Rena takes it upon herself to solve her problems. Keiichi and the rest of the club do their best to help Rena with the aftermath, and things start spiraling out of control when Rena uncovers a conspiracy.
Tsumihoroboshi was first released at Comiket 68 on August 14, 2005.
This arc was rereleased with Minagoroshi at Comiket 69 on December 30, 2005.
This arc was rereleased with Matsuribayashi at Comiket 70 on August 13, 2006.
First English Release
MangaGamer translated Tsumihoroboshi into English and released it on April 15, 2010. Changes include:
- Porting from NSCripter to BGI.
- Removal of the Music Room.
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou
This arc was rereleased with Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou on August 17, 2014.
Second English Release
MangaGamer retranslated this arc and released it individually on June 14, 2018. Changes include:
- Porting from NScripter to Unity.
- New character art by Kurosaki.
- The chapter titles are not translated, instead referred to as "Days".
This arc has been featured in the following console ports:
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Matsuri
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kizuna Volume III
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Sui
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou
Choices are added near the end of the arc that lead to 2 alternate endings. The player is forced to see one of these endings and unlock the extra arc Yoigoshi-hen before being able to get the "true" ending.
Tsumihoroboshi is the last arc of the 2006 anime, with Retake being the last numbered episode. The 2007 anime premiered with Reunion, an adaptation of a TIP and an epilogue to the Tsumihoroboshi arc proper.
- Happiness (aired: August 29, 2006)
- Place to Return (aired: September 5, 2006)
- Document 34 (aired: September 12, 2006)
- Earth Invasion (aired: September 19, 2006)
- Retake (aired: September 26, 2006)
- Reunion (aired: July 6, 2007)
- Atonement Arc Manga Volume 1 (JP release: December 22, 2006. EN release: October 25, 2011)
- Atonement Arc Manga Volume 2 (JP release: June 22, 2007. EN release: December 13, 2011)
- Atonement Arc Manga Volume 3 (JP release: December 22, 2007. EN release: February 28, 2012)
- Atonement Arc Manga Volume 4 (JP release: June 21, 2008. EN release: April 24, 2012)
Tsumihoroboshi was adapted as a single set and released on February 22, 2008.
Kodansha released two volumes adapting Tsumihoroboshi:
- Volume 1: July 2, 2008, republished November 11, 2011
- Volume 2: August 5, 2008, republished December 9, 2011
The Japanese movie Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Chikai adapts Tsumihoroboshi as a sequel to the 2008 live-action movie and released on April 18, 2009. The film was released overseas with the title Shrill Cries - Reshuffle.