|This article is about a character in Umineko no Naku Koro ni.|
- "Readers only pretend to read books. ...They read them based merely on the name of the author and the brand and think that they've actually read them. ...No matter what I write in my books, they don't truly read anything. They just pretend to read so they can look smart and knowledgeable and keep up with the current fad."
- — Tohya to Ange, Dawn of the Golden Witch
Tohya Hachijo (八城 十八 Hachijō Tōya) is a mystery novelist who fabricated stories about the Rokkenjima Massacre under the pen name Itouikukuro Zerogonanaroku, and is the human form of Featherine Augustus Aurora. She first appears in Dawn of the Golden Witch.
A message bottle Forger. She's a mysterious novel writer, and her person is surrounded by even more mysteries than those found in her novels.
She claims to have found the truth of Rokkenjima and posts new tales she has written on the web, as though giving out extra hints. However...I have no memory of meeting with her before my trip to Niijima...
Tohya appears as a young woman with mid-back purple hair. She wears what appears to be a brown strapless dress with several ruffles and a yellow ribbon in the front with a green colored gem near the bottom. Over this she wears a light colored jacket that reaches to her knees.
Tohya is an eccentric and anti-social individual. She looks down on people who claim to understand the books she reads.
Tohya is a murder-mystery author who became interested in the Rokkenjima Massacre and began writing Forgeries based off of the message bottles written by Maria Ushiromiya. Tohya has written such stories as Banquet of the Golden Witch, Alliance of the Golden Witch, and End of the Golden Witch, gaining popularity because of her writing style's uncanny resemblance to the original message bottles and detailed descriptions about Rokkenjima and the Ushiromiya family.
- Ange Ushiromiya (acquaintance, reader)
- Featherine Augustus Aurora (witch form, anti-mystery persona)
- Ikuko Hachijo (representation of)
- Tohya Hachijo (representation of)
Role in the StoryEdit
Tohya has a meeting with Ange and invites her to read her newest manuscript, Dawn of the Golden Witch. However, Ange does not remember ever scheduling a meeting with Tohya and gets a strange feeling. Tohya soon reveals her true form as Featherine Augustus Aurora and tells Ange to read Dawn to her in the meta-world.
- The name of Hachijo Tohya (八城 十八), contains two wordplays.
- An alternate reading for the kanji in the name Hachijo (八城) is "yashiro". Coupled with the honorific "o-" prefix, this becomes "Oyashiro"; Oyashiro-sama is one the main focuses of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.
- The name Tohya (十八) is composed of numerical kanji, numbering 18. Breaking down the name "Oyashiro" into syllables (o-ya-shi-ro), each syllable is one possible reading for the numbers 0, 8, 4, and 6. Adding these numbers together results in a sum of 18.