Saikoroshi-hen (賽殺し編, lit. Dice Killing Chapter), also called the Dice Killing Arc in the manga, is an epilogue to the main story first included in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei and considered its main content.
~Worst of the selected~
This is the story of Furude Rika, who celebrates the summer of Showa 58.
The power to choose from one of many worlds.
Is this world truly the best world of them all?
Difficulty is malicious. It may not be to everyone's liking.
- Main article: Saikoroshi/Plot Summary
Rika Furude is looking forward to a lifetime of fun after completing her journey through the Fragments. However, an accident sends Rika to a brand-new-world where nothing is quite the same. As she explores this new world and seeks a way to return home, Rika reflects on her life and must make a decision.
Concept and Development
Saikoroshi-hen was first teased in a post on November 13, 2006 on Ryukishi07's production diary. He stated that the arc was meant to be a shorter scenario that happened to take place after Matsuribayashi and dissuaded readers from viewing it as a "chapter 9". Later comments however suggest that he changed his mind and now views Saikoroshi-hen as such.
- "But the world of Higurashi WHEN THEY CRY has just a little bit further to go in the "Dice Killing Arc." I hope you will stay with me a little longer too."
- — Ryukishi07's afterword in Festival Accompanying Arc Manga Volume 8
- "For the time being, Higurashi WHEN THEY CRY reaches its conclusion in the "Dice Killing Arc.""
- — Ryukishi07's afterword in the Dice Killing Arc manga
Multiple adaptations of the series over the years generally treat Saikoroshi-hen as a continuation of Matsuribayashi. The Rei anime, which includes this arc, is presented as a direct continuation of the Kai anime. The manga series explicitly refers to this arc as a conitnuation of Matsuribayashi and the conlcusion of Higurashi story at the time. The light novel series includes this arc as the ninth and final chapter.
A scene featured in Higurashi: When They Cry - SOTSU episode 12 suggests that Saikoroshi-hen may have taken place prior to it.
Saikoroshi was first released with Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei at Comiket 71 on December 31, 2006.
Higurashi Rei was rereleased with Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou on August 17, 2014.
The 2009 Higurashi When They Cry Rei anime OVA series by Studio DEEN adapted Saikoroshi in Episodes 2 to 5.
- Dice Killing Chapter Part 1 (released: March 25, 2009)
- Dice Killing Chapter Part 2 (released: May 22, 2009)
- Dice Killing Chapter Part 3 (released: June 16, 2009)
It omits mentions of Shion and Mion switching places as children, presumably because this reveal was also omitted from the Meakashi adaptation in the 2006 anime. The specifics regarding Rika's transformation into Frederica Bernkastel are also omitted.
Kodansha released one volume adapting Saikoroshi. It first released on March 7, 2009 and was republished on June 8, 2012.
- Main article: Dice Killing Arc (manga)
The manga adaptation of Saikoroshi was illustrated by Karin Suzuragi and serialized in Square Enix's Gangan Joker magazine from July to December 2011. It was later collected into a single volume. Yen Press published it in English under the title "Dice Killing Arc".
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Final Memorial Artbook