Ryukishi was originally born in Chiba Prefecture. As an adult he worked as a civil servant until he was 30. During his time as a civil servant, Ryukishi developed a hobby in doujin circles and was part of a group to produce a work called Flowers, but it never released since the circle disbanded. Ryukishi later formed his own doujin group called 07th Expansion with his two younger brothers and created cards for the card game Leaf Fight.
Inspired by the visual novel Tsukihime created by TYPE-MOON, Ryukishi and his brothers decided to make their own novel game. Ryukishi had previously written various stage play scripts and took one called Hinamizawa Bus Stop and reworked it into Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. Higurashi has since become a pop culture phenomenon, and 07th Expansion's members grew as Ryukishi became involved in many more visual novel works.
"Ryukishi07" is a pen name, inspired by the character Reina of Final Fantasy V: "07" in Japanese can be pronounced as "reinana", and "Ryukishi" means "dragon knight", referring to the dragoon job in Final Fantasy. The character Rena Ryuugu, primarily associated with Higurashi, was originally a heavily-modified fan-rendition of Reina as well. The uniform worn by Reina, a highly modified rendition of the dragoon outfit, would also become the Angel Mort costume worn in-universe by Higurashi characters before becoming emblematic of 07th Expansion as a circle.
More recent works produced by Ryukishi have seen the presence of the wanya, a blob-like creature that seems to be his author avatar.
Many of 07th Expansion's works involve Ryukishi as both scenario/story writer and artist. Most character sprites are drawn and colored by him. For Rose Guns Days and TRianThology, Ryukishi drew a portion of the character sprites and had guest artists for other characters. Further in the case of TRianThology, Ryukishi wrote one story for it.
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
- Umineko no Naku Koro ni
- Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni
- Rose Guns Days
- TRianThology ~Sanmenkyou no Kuni no Alice~
- Ciconia no Naku Koro ni
Ryukishi has been involved in many other works as a writer.
- Kaidan to Odorou, Soshite Anata wa Kaidan de Odoru
- Verokia Dragoon Story
- Bakemonotachi ga Usobuku Koro ni ~ Bakemonohime no Kateikyoushi ~
Other Visual Novels
Uses of Similar Character Designs
- Main article: List of Similar Characters
- "One part of my fictional world/character settings are similar, or pretty much borrow the concept of star system, making you feel 'Oh, there is that character!'"
- — Ryukishi07 in Higurashi Gou SP Live Talk
Ryukishi07’s works often feature characters that are similar to those in his previous works, either through appearance, similar names, or personalities. He sees his characters as actors and compared using similar character designs in different works as being similar to Harrison Ford playing both Han Solo and Indiana Jones, in that the person behind the role is the same, but the character they are playing in each movie, or in this case game, is very different.
- Ryukishi07 makes a cameo appearance in the 2008 live action Higurashi movie. He can be seen in the crowd during the Watanagashi Festival.
- Mamoru Akasaka in Higurashi no Naku Koro ni and Featherine Augustus Aurora in Umineko no Naku Koro ni are hinted to be written as self-inserts for Ryukishi07.
- Akasaka co-authors a book named Higurashi no Naku Koro ni in Himatsubushi. The pen name "Tohya Hachijo", the human counterpart of Featherine, authors the "~Witch" series, which is likely a reference to the naming scheme of the Umineko episodes.
- Akasaka and Tohya Hachijo, one of the two people who use the namesake pen name, are both voiced by Daisuke Ono.
- Ryukishi07/O7th Expansion's official Twitter account
- Ryukishi's production diary from the official 07th Expansion website (no longer updated)
- Calculated given his birth year and birthday.
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Famous Scene Investigation File 100
- Onikakushi light novel Volume 1 bio.
- Ryukishi07 Interviews (Epitanime 2012)
- The Untold History of Japanese Game Developers
- Higurashi Booster Book Interview
- Alone in the Dark: An Interview With the Creators of Higurashi When They Cry
- Illustration of Reina from the Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Official Character Guide
- Famitsu Special Interview 10/24/2019
- Another Round of Red Truths with Ryukishi07
- Festival Accompanying Arc Manga Volume 4 afterword
Episode 8 Shinsou Kaimei Dokuhon Interview "Featherine is the closest thing to a god in that world, the world's guardian. So there's no doubt that she's the strongest character in the story. At the same time, it's pretty embarrassing. I made myself appear in my work and wrote "I'm super strong~!" (laughs) Isn't it like a fantasy novel with the author himself as the strongest hero?"
- 07th Expansion All Character Settings Collection page 82: "Tohya and Ikuko both continue to write under the same pen-name. They consider their series '~Witch' to have ended but a lot of fans are asking for a sequel to be written, which Ikuko thinks is a good idea: both for their fans and to help Tohya sort his feelings out."