|This article is about the story arc in Higurashi When They Cry. For the phenomenon in that same series, see Oyashiro-sama's Curse.|
Onikakushi (鬼隠し編 Onikakushi-hen, lit. Demoned Away Chapter), also known as the Abducted by Demons Arc in the manga, is the first story arc of the Higurashi When They Cry series. It was first released on August 10, 2002 at Comiket 62. It is the first of four Question Arcs, and is followed by Watanagashi.
Welcome to the world of Higurashi: When They Cry.
The Onikakushi arc will be the opening inviting you into this world.
Don't play tough-please just enjoy life in Hinamizawa to the fullest.
The difficulty is extremely high, but I hope you will enjoy the reward.
- Main article: Onikakushi-hen/Plot Summary
In June of 1983, Keiichi Maebara moves to the rural village of Hinamizawa and makes some new friends while learning of the villages' culture and their guardian deity Oyashiro-sama. After hearing that annual deaths and disappearances happen because of "Oyashiro-sama's curse," Keiichi begins to uncover dark secrets about his new friends and his new home.
- Keiichi Maebara
- Rena Ryuugu
- Mion Sonozaki
- Satoko Houjou
- Rika Furude
- Kuraudo Ooishi
- Jirou Tomitake
- Miyo Takano
Original Release (Comiket 62)
Onikakushi was first released at Comiket 62 on August 10, 2002.
Onikakushi was rereleased with Watanagashi at Comiket 63 on December 29, 2002. There are some changes made to the arc:
- Miyo Takano was given a sprite when she previously didn't have one.
- The Ootaka Clinic was renamed to the Irie Clinic.
- A poem by Frederica Bernkastel was added to the beginning of the arc.
Onikakushi was rereleased with Himatsubushi at Comiket 66 on August 13, 2004.
First English Release
- Porting from NSCripter to BGI.
- The Renapan minigame that was included in previous versions would be removed from this version and subsequent releases.
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou
This arc was rereleased with Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou on August 17, 2014.
Second English Release
MangaGamer retranslated this arc and released it individually on May 15, 2015. Changes include:
- Porting from NScripter to Unity.
- New character art by Kurosaki.
A new demo of Onikakushi and Watanagashi was released on July 15, 2020 for free download on 07th Expansion's demo page. Changes include:
- Porting the arc from NScripter to PONScripter.
- New music tracks composed by xaki.
- Higher-definition sprites.
A drama CD adaptation of Onikakushi was released on May 27, 2005 in a 3-disc set.
The manga adaptation of Onikakushi was illustrated by Karin Suzuragi and first serialized in Square Enix's Gangan Powered magazine from May 2005 to May 2006. It was later collected into two volumes. Yen Press published them in English under the title "Abducted By Demons Arc".
- Abducted by Demons Arc Manga Volume 1 (JP: December 22, 2005; EN: November 18, 2008)
- Abducted by Demons Arc Manga Volume 2 (JP: June 22, 2006; EN: February 17, 2009)
The entire arc was re-released as a single omnibus volume in Japan on July 9, 2007.
The 2006 Higurashi When They Cry anime by Studio DEEN adapted Onikakushi in the first four episodes.
- The Beginning (aired: April 4, 2006)
- The Secret (aired: April 11, 2006)
- Suspicion (aired: April 18, 2006)
- Disturbance (aired: April 25, 2006)
The original light novel adaptation of Onikakushi consists of two volumes. It was originally published by Kodansha and republished by Seikaisha. It may be also be read for free (in Japanese) on Seikaisha's website.
- Onikakushi Light Novel Volume 1 (Kodansha: August 2, 2007; Seikaisha: January 12, 2011)
- Onikakushi Light Novel Volume 2 (Kodansha: September 4, 2007; Seikaisha: February 10, 2011)
Novel versions of Onikakushi intended for junior students were published by Futabasha, consisting of two volumes. Both volumes released on October 21, 2020.
These are the credits as seen in the original Comiket release.
- Supervision and screenplay: Ryukishi07
- Principal offender: Yatazakura
- Scripting: Yatazakura (main), 4U (intermission and TIPS), BT (group logo and installer)
- Scripter used: NScripter (Naoki Takahashi)
- Technical advice: 4U and BT
- Directing: Yatazakura
- Graphics: Ryukishi07
- Background locations: Kameya Mannendo, Yatazakura, Ryukishi07
- Location scouting: Kameya Mannendo
- Music and sound effects: Music Studio, Yumenoshima Development Office, Ekaterina
- Renapan minigame: BT
- Homepage management: 4U
- Crunch friends: Tsubaki Naruse, Touyuki Ai, Tokihi
- Test players (We’d like to thank you all for your cooperation!): yama2, uudy, O2G, Soraemon, Komiyamantarou, Tooru Mizukami, Denim, yosio, takuya, reshizou22, Minami, M. R. Works, Akihiko, K2@Yumemi, Iekano, Yoshinori Yano/Acha, Ayurin, Hitoshi, Shirushi
- Special Thanks:Sho Yakufukuro, EIJI, KLEZ
- Production: 07th Expansion
- "I Tried the Original Onikakushi-hen" http://higuumi07.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-854.html
- Onikakushi (鬼隠し, Demoning-away), also translated as "Abducted by Demons", refers to a concept similar to Spiriting Away within the context of the Hinamizawan lore. However, if the word is taken literally based on the Kanji characters, the word could also mean "Concealing the Demon".