|This article is about a character in Umineko When They Cry.|
Her father's identity is unknown. She can't shake off the habit of speaking like a young child, which often earns her a scolding.
She has no interest in studying or making friends, but is very interested in things concerning the occult and black magic. Thanks to her excellent powers of memorization, she knows all kinds of obscure trivia.
Maria has short, light brown hair, fair skin, and violet eyes. When she smiles she appears sometimes to have a snaggle tooth. She is of short stature due to her young age and weighs 28 kilograms (61 pounds). Maria wears a pale pink long-sleeve button-down shirt, with frills of the same color on the shoulders and the collar. Over this, she wears a black corset which has the One-Winged Eagle adorned on the left side.
Maria also wears a black skirt with a pink stripe at the bottom and a lacy slip underneath with white knee-high socks with a lacy rim at the top and red shoes that buckle over the top of the foot and around the ankle. She is also said to carry a pink purse.
As the Witch of Origins, MARIA wears a black dress with red bows and a pink cravat. She also carries a One-Winged Eagle staff that she channels her magic through. In both forms, Maria wears a small black crown on her head, which is tied with a red ribbon whose bow sits just under her chin.
Maria is a child of elementary-school age (in the first episode, her mother confirms that she is "nine and a fourth grader"), though usually acts as though she is much younger. This often gets her in trouble with her mother and earns her a slap or two on the cheek. Normally she acts younger than her age but seen as cute by many. But when talking about witches, her personality changes and acts creepily. She also becomes defensive when someone rejects witches and magic which she believes to help her become happy. It is often affirmed and demonstrated that she is not capable of lying and that, even if what she says and thinks proves to be false, she continues to repeat the opposite only because she believes in it with all of her spirit. It is for this reason that she often argues with her cousin Battler over whether or not Beatrice is real and refuses to accept the idea that magic could not exist. In Requiem of the Golden Witch, Willard and Jessica theorize that the reason why Maria completely changes her tone of voice and behavior when speaking of magic and witches is to provoke everyone around her, rooted in her desire to be considered important and worthy of being heard by adults by boasting knowledge on a topic which is unknown to them.
She deeply loves her mother Rosa and even believes that the abusive and neglectful side of her mother is not her mother but a witch possessing her to do horrible things. She even went as far as to defend Rosa's actions in her diary and through Sakutarou's thoughts which in turns are her own thoughts when Rosa is not being a good mother.
There are even times when she stated she does not need anyone but just her mother.
However, it is only after the visit of a social worker who claimed that Rosa had left her alone to go on vacation without her instead of working, and destroying Chiester 556 and Sakutaro that Maria starts losing all trust in her mother and begins to resent her abuse and her apparent negligence towards her. This is what ultimately drives her to revolt not only against her mother but also against her entire family in favor of Beatrice and the witches. However, she's well aware that part of her continues to desire Rosa's presence and love in her life.
At school she was bullied due to the fact that she takes low grades and prefers to play with her toys rather than with other children and, despite saying that she doesn't care as long as she has Sakutaro, she suffers a lot while hiding it, telling Ange that she is happy to be the one who is tormented rather than another child.
In Alliance of the Golden Witch, Maria is described to have an innate affinity for magic thanks to her kinship with her grandfather Kinzo. Thanks to her future potential as a Creator, she is able to create her own spells by transcribing them into her grimoire; some of these spells consist of making raining candies from the sky, making the food she don't like more palatable and trying to making herself and her mother happy by simply exclaiming and singing "Uu-uu". Once, however, her magic began to become much more obscure after she suffered so much pain, she created dark spells capable of making the bullies of her school sick or crashing the bus that carried them into a ravine.
Despite being only an apprentice, Maria proves powerful enough to kill and torture her mother in the most bloody ways imaginable, such as turning Rosa's insides into thick black tar.
In Dawn of the Golden Witch, she proved able to stand up to Erika Furudo in a fight in which each used the Red Truth and Blue Truth to determine who was right about the candy that appeared by magic and later fought Kanon, first by creating a series of fire balls to attack him and then trapping him in a mini space-time chamber after he murdered Rosa.
Maria was also able to enchant her grimoire to house a piece of her soul within. This allows her to speak to Ange Ushiromiya in 1998 as a spirit.
Her power as the Witch of Origins is explicitly described as apparently weak due to her considerably very young age and inexperience, being only on the level of a mere Enchanter capable of imbuing souls on inanimate entities and creating magic objects, but she holds the potential to create everything (1) from the Sea of Zero and no matter how many times you multiply zero (0), it doesn't become anything if not zero, meaning she could create anything she desires from nothing without any limits after one thousand years of training. Though for the moment her "magic of origins" is still too weak and she can change reality only through the Endless Magic kindly granted by Beatrice and Virgilia.
Maria grew up in a lonely environment with her mother Rosa Ushiromiya being at work most of the time and having no knowledge of her father. Many people thought of her as a pitiful and weird child which she does not understand as she does not know why people think of her as pitiful but instead, she thinks that she is very happy. Once, Rosa showed her a photo of a tanned man whom Rosa said was Maria's father. However, when Maria request to see it again, her mother yelled and said that the photo does not exist. After a while, Maria starts to doubt who she is and felt not even a teacher was able to answer her many questions.
One day, a priest visited her school and Maria asked the priest whether it is weird to not have a father. The priest then tells her that is not weird and tells her about Jesus was also born from a virgin birth. From then onward, due to misinterpreting what the Bible really means, Maria got back her sense of self with many of her answers answered. This resulted in her believing that she is special and different from other people as well as sparks her interest in the occult.
Later, she met Beatrice when she went to Rokkenjima and became best friends with her. They talked a lot about occult subjects and magic circles, with Beatrice showing her some magic. Later, they created the Golden Land and many new friends.
Maria is the youngest among herself and her cousins who attend the family reunion in 1986.
- Kinzo Ushiromiya (grandfather)
- Rosa Ushiromiya: Maria is most likely the only point of reference in Rosa's affections by being her only daughter and thus Rosa feels Maria is also the only person with whom she can vent the vast amounts of stress, anger and sadness that have always tormented her over her entire life. Although Rosa is very abusive when she is angry and also negligent towards her when she is tired, she feels both a lot of guilt and deep shame for it, deeming herself an incapable mother at times and consequently trying to make up for it by making promises with Maria she will eventually forget, or spoils her daughter by buying her numerous toys and candies. Despite her true feelings for her daughter being questioned multiple times, in the end it is shown that Rosa will do anything to safeguard both Maria's health and her future.
- Black Witch (enemy)
- George Ushiromiya (cousin)
- Jessica Ushiromiya (cousin)
- Battler Ushiromiya (cousin)
- Ange Ushiromiya: Maria is Ange's older cousin through Ange's paternal aunt Rosa. Ange was initially very close to Maria, and would often often gladly taken Sakutaro and all the other toys and played with her cousin, and even let her into the exclusive alliance of witches created by her and Beatrice. However, when Ange made fun of her one day because her mother told her that Sakutarou was just a plush toy and not a real child like themselves, Maria expelled her from her life and her magical world, even going so far as to write in her diary that she hated Ange as much as she hated Rosa after the latter destroyed Sakutarou. In 1998, Maria's spirit acts as a mentor for Ange through her diary, and Ange makes amends with her.
- Shannon (friend)
- Sayo Yasuda (half-cousin/aunt, best friend)
- Sakutarou (best friend, creator of soul, furniture)
- Beatrice: Maria is a vocal believer in Beatrice and enjoys playing with her when she visits the island. Beatrice has taught Maria all sorts of magic, giving her assistance in Alliance of the Golden Witch by enabling Maria's revenge and constant torture against Rosa. Maria is always among the last to die in games where Beatrice is in control. In Banquet of the Golden Witch, when she sees that Maria has actually been suffering from all of EVA-Beatrice's ways of killing her and Rosa, she even gives Maria a quick, painless death after comforting her, which is a contrast to the just as quick but more gruesome way she dispatches of Rosa afterwards.
- Virgilia (friend, teacher)
- Stakes of Purgatory (friends, furniture through Mariage Sorciere)
- Chiester Sisters Imperial Guard Corps (creations, furniture, allies)
- EVA-Beatrice (aunt, enemy)
- ANGE-Beatrice (apprentice)
Role in the Story
While traveling to Rokkenjima, Maria noticed that the torii gate that's normally on the island was missing.
Throughout the episode, Maria shows a creepy disposition whenever talking about witches and Beatrice, showing off her knowledge of magic circles and the occult.
Ended up becoming the last of the survivors. A message bottle containing a note written by Maria was later discovered.
By the time you have read this, I will probably be dead.
—— Ushiromiya Maria
Attempts to escape the island with Rosa, only to be surrounded and eaten by several goats.
In the Golden Land, she learned that her mother still truly loved her.
At least for now, she is satisfied.
Was murdered alongside Rosa after much torture by EVA-Beatrice as the second twilight.
Her corpse was found in the rose garden. The cause of death was strangling, probably by bare hands. Circumstantial evidence makes it reasonable to assume that she was killed after Rosa.
Then, her blood became the red ink for the witch's oath.
In 1998, Maria's spirit inhabits her grimoire and speaks to Ange, teaching her how to use magic and revealing her witch form as MARIA (マリア Maria) . Glimpses into Maria's past with Sakutaro and Rosa are also shown, where MARIA awakens to black magic with Beatrice's help and tortures Rosa repeatedly.
In 1986, Maria is tested by Kinzo and is the only cousin to pass. In the Tea Party, Battler discovers Maria's corpse lying peacefully in the dining hall, presumably killed by poison.
Her corpse was found in the dining hall. Battler wasn't able to make out any wounds in particular, so he assumed that she was killed by some kind of poison.
The most peaceful form of invitation to the Golden Land.
Was a victim of the first twilight.
Her corpse was found in the cousins' room on the second floor of the guesthouse.
The direct cause of death is unknown, but her neck was slashed open by a sharp knife.
The wound was deep enough that anyone could easily confirm her death with absolute certainty.
In the Guest House, Maria is gathered with her cousins, Shannon, and Erika Furudo, discussing the legend of Beatrice. When Erika begins questioning it, Maria throws a tantrum and describes how Beatrice once filled an empty, closed cup with candy using her magic. Erika taunts Maria and challenges her to prove it, though the others try to intervene. Maria and Erika bring their argument to the Meta-World, where it escalates into a full-blown witches' battle of the Red Truth and Blue Truth. Maria demonstrates the spell that fills the cup with candy while it's still closed and says that Erika cannot use the spell due to her anti-magic toxin.
To Maria's shock, Erika performs the trick anyway by opening the cup and filling it with candy while Maria's eyes are closed, just like she had done when Beatrice performed the spell and dismisses it as third-rate trickery. Maria is defended by Sakutaro, who negotiates a truce between the two. Maria returns to the real world in tears, and the others (oblivious to the Meta-World aspect of the argument) scold Erika for bullying Maria. Maria soon begins laughing and reaffirms her faith in magic, stating that Erika's toxin will prevent her from seeing the happiness that comes with magic. Maria is then taken upstairs to play with her cousins, managing to revert back to her old, cheerful self.
During the love trial, Maria is targeted by Shannon, who crushes her with her shield to bypass Sakutaro's diplomatic immunity. Erika later tries to examine her corpse.
Her corpse was found in the parlor.
Furudo Erika didn't perform a proper investigation, so the details of the cause of death are unknown.
Her corpse was found in the parlor.
Her neck was completely severed by a blade.
The most perfect kind of corpse, both impossible to mistakenly as dead and completely recognizable.
- In Golden Fantasia, Maria is not playable however she appears during Rosa's meta super to give her an extra rifle. Additionally, any time Rosa and Beatrice are against each other as attacker, Maria will appear in the introduction being chased by a Goat Butler and trip. Rosa then shoots her pursuer and picks up Maria similar to Turn of the Golden Witch. She also appears in the background of a few stages, usually in her witch form. In addition, she can also be unlocked as a system voice.
- The name Maria means "sea of bitterness" or "sea of sorrow". However, some sources cite alternative definitions of "rebellion", "wished-for child" and "mistress or lady of the sea".
- Maria's name may also come from the name Mary as in the Virgin Mary from Christianity, due to the fact that she believes she was a virgin birth because Rosa always told her she never had a father.
- According to Episode 8 Shinsou Kaimei Dokuhon, Ryukishi07 intended for Maria to be mysterious like Rika Furude and draw readers towards the story, however Maria never received as much focus as her.