|This article is about a character in Umineko no Naku Koro ni.|
The Witch of Certainty, who has lived for a thousand years. She embodies the idea that "hard workers are rewarded" and is revered even by humans.
Though she is a witch, she does not stray far from the concepts of humans. For that reason, her power as one worshiped by humans is incalculable.
However, she is fickle about whose efforts she chooses to reward, and in many cases, she bestows her favor upon those who entertain her the most.
Her immense, swift, and terrifying power can make any witch surrender in an instant.
However, she is often reckless, and Bernkastel was able to take full advantage of that.
She wears a pink hat and dress and white-and-pink-striped stockings and shoes. Her dress is adorned with pumpkins and pinkish-red bows, some of which are candy-shaped. She also wears black long gloves.
Lambda is playfully cruel. She loves Bernkastel very much, but chooses to hide it. In the Tea Party of Twilight of the Golden Witch, it is implied that she shares a rivalry with Erika, something further explored in her story mode with Chiester 410 in Golden Fantasia. Although she denies it, Lambda will go through great lengths to help her mikos as seen in Twilight, even if it meant standing up against Bernkastel and Featherine, despite the danger.
Skills and Abilities Edit
Lambda has the ability to grant wishes and make them succeed with absolute certainty, however she typically grants it to people that appeal to her, usually those with a strong determination. Lambda also has the ability to create black holes and candy bombs. Lambda can also use Red Truth.
Lambdadelta used to be known as the most powerful witch in the universe, but was defeated by Bernkastel in another game. It is implied that, similar to Bern, Lambda was trapped in a Logic Error long ago.
- Bernkastel (friend, rival, lover)
- Beatrice (sponsor, witch guardian of, miko)
- EVA-Beatrice (witch guardian of)
- Battler Ushiromiya (sponsor, witch guardian of)
- Ange Ushiromiya (miko)
Role in the StoryEdit
Lambda first appears in the ????. She offers to help Beatrice while planning to take revenge on Bern for defeating her. After everyone else leaves, Lambda gives Battler a pep talk and encourages him to get back in the game.
Lambda gives EVA-Beatrice the recommendation needed for her to become the new Golden Witch and becomes her guardian.
In the Tea Party, Lambda shows annoyance that Bern's piece Ange suddenly barged into the gameboard without warning. She later has a private talk with Beatrice and shows disdain that she isn't trying to win. Lambda reminds Beatrice that she became a witch in exchange for Lambda being allowed to use her perfect gameboard. She promises that if Beatrice falls short of victory then Lambda won't hesitate to take away her powers and throw her into the worst Fragment.
Lambda talks to Ange and tells her that Bern has tricked her. Even if Ange were to stop Beato's game and set her family free, they won't return to her own future; Ange is just a piece and will disappear when Beato's game ends. Lambda gives her the offer of becoming her piece instead, with the goal of keeping the game running for as long as possible so Ange can stay with her brother forever and Lambda can trap Bern.
Beatrice later threatens to suspend the game, believing that Battler is unfit to fight her, and Lambda tries to convince Battler to prove his qualifications. Battler winds up disappearing as Beato abandons the gameboard, and Bern leaves unsatisfied with Lambda chasing after her. Beatrice is later forced to return to the gameboard after intervention from Ange and Lambda shackles her to a chair, intent on keeping her there and watching over her for eternity until she wins the game.
In the ????, Lambda and Bern lie in a bed and mock Battler's theories, with Lambda correcting some of them in red truth. Afterwards, Bern and Lambda declare on their titles that Beato will lose for all eternity, and a miracle will certainly not occur.
In the place of Beato, who stepped down from the position of Game Master in the 4th game, Lambdadelta serves as the new Game Master in the 5th game.
Therefore, it is expected that, while the 5th game may be quite similar to the previous game, there will be differences...
Lambdadelta takes over as Game Master after Beato falls comatose and plays against Bernkastel, who's taken over the detective side. She allows Battler to rejoin the game and replays everything from the start to show him what's happened. Lambda presses Battler for his theories regarding certain scenes such as Kinzo's appearance despite his death.
Lambda continues to provide red truths throughout the game and later arbitrates a 24:00 court session to determine if Natsuhi is the culprit, with Erika and Bern acting as prosecutors and Battler as defense. A new rule is also implemented where Humans who speak in red must have appropriate proof, and Battler's final defense for Natsuhi is blown away when Lambda invokes this rule. In the end Lambda gives victory to Bern and Erika, and Natsuhi is presumed guilty.
In the ????, Battler revives with new evidence and Lambda declares him the new Golden Witch and Endless Sorcerer, reopening the court so he can prove Natsuhi's innocence. Battler and Erika exchange blows and Lambda declares the game to be even, passing her role of Game Master to Battler now that he's proven to know the truth.
Lambda watches over Battler and Erika's game to ensure it runs smoothly. She shows a lot of awe and concern when Battler tries to pull off some daring moves. Battler winds up trapped in a Logic Error despite Lambda's help, and she gives Chick Beato some advice needed for her to transform into Beatrice again.
Beatrice revives and invades Battler and Erika's wedding, and Lambda once again judges the game to ensure Beatrice and Erika's theories are legitimate.
She becomes to convinced by Lion to stick around after the goats devour Rokkenjima, and she uses her powers as a witch of the Senate to sneak Battler and Ange into the City of Books to retrieve Eva's diary before its public unveiling.
Lambda later distracts Bern by fighting her as Battler and Ange work on the diary. The two witches end up evenly matched, and they get interrupted by Featherine appearing. Lambda tries to attack Featherine's memory device but is killed with no effort, falling to pieces and disappearing into the City of Books' void.
Lambda is brought back to life in the ????, being sewn back together by Bern.
Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga) Edit
Other Appearances Edit
- Lambda appears in several stories in Umineko no Naku Koro ni Tsubasa. Memoirs of the ΛΔ focuses on Lambdadelta reminiscing on past wishes she's granted, remembering in particular one girl who wanted determination to become a god and another one who dreamed of being a witch.
- In the Umineko no Naku Koro ni Hane story Jessica and the Killer Electric Fan, Lambda enchants Jessica's play script and sucks her, Battler and Shannon into the story.
- Lambdadelta is a playable character in Golden Fantasia and can be unlocked as a system voice.
- The short story The First and the Last Gift has Lambda receiving a new gameboard from Bernkastel and creating a piece, Miyoko Takano, to take part in it.
This article or section contains untagged major spoilers for all of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, possibly including the console-exclusive arcs. Readers who have not completed the main story are advised not to proceed further.
- She is very similar to Miyo Takano from Higurashi no Naku Koro ni in appearance, personality, and goals.
- Another similarity would be her name "Lambdadelta" (λδ) which represents thirty-four when using Greek numerals and "Miyo" (三四) can be translated as "three, four" in Japanese, strengthening their connection. In addition, Shannon's real name "Sayo" has a similar lecture to the compound 三四.
- The "game" she played with Bernkastel may be the battle that took place in the world of Higurashi with the battle between Rika and Takano being the purpose of the game. However, in both the sound novels and in an interview with Ryukishi07, not only did Lambdadelta not finish reading Higurashi by the time Bernkastel offered to spoil the ending, Ryukishi07 stated that her similarity to Takano was nothing more than a red herring used to throw off readers who read Higurashi first.
- In Umineko no Naku Koro ni Tsubasa it is heavily implied however that she set the story of Higurashi in motion by granting with certainty Takano's wish to become a god which would explain why Bernkastel always says that she was trapped in a witch's game which was most likely Lambdadelta's certainty
- Also in Tsubasa it shows a scene that is implied to be Lambdadelta granting Yasu's wish to become a witch. This is even more heavily implied by the fact that she grants the child the power to become a witch for two days which is what she gave Beatrice.
- She shares the same distinctive laugh as Satoko Houjou from Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, and also has the same penchant for making traps.
- Lambdadelta's link to Satoko Houjou is strengthened in Twilight of the Golden Witch, when the pie riddle that stumped Satoko in Higurashi was said by Bernkastel to have been failed by Lambdadelta.
- On two occasions in Twilight of the Golden Witch, Lambdadelta expresses her hope that she will at least make it to the Top 3 or Top 5 in the popularity polls. This is a reference to the official 07th expansion character popularity polls. She did indeed make it to third place in the first poll following Twilight of the Golden Witch's release, though she has since dropped to tenth place in the final popularity poll held in 2012.
- ↑ Dawn of the Golden Witch Chapter 15: Logic Error. Lambdadelta: ...You know, ......every once in a while, ...that terror comes back to me. ......I wonder...whether I really have escaped from that hell. ......What if...I actually lost my mind a long time ago......and I'm still in there, just seeing a delusion of us all chatting happily like this...? ...That nightmare still terrifies me... ...And so, I need to constantly feel...truly feel that this isn't a dream... ...Hey, ...are you guys...really...real...? ...You aren't just an insane delusion I'm having inside that hell, ...right...? Right? ...Right...?
- ↑ "うみねこのなく頃に散キャラクター人気投票" on when-they-cry.net (old official When They Cry site) http://web.archive.org/web/20120614100823/http://when-they-cry.net/Cgi/vote/umi8/vote_end.html (While Lambdadelta's image does not render on the archive, the third place image being her can be confirmed by checking the file name vote_ico_lam.jpg)
- ↑ "うみねこのなく頃に 人気投票結果" on the official 07th Expansion website http://www.07th-expansion.net/2012vote/umi/result_umi.htm