|This article is about a character in Umineko no Naku Koro ni.|
- "...You are human, Milady. So you are free to live any way you please, and any kind of future is possible for you. It's almost like you have wings and can dance through the sky like a bird. (...) ...Only a human like Milady can embrace that possibility. ...I am not like that. I have no future, no possibilities, ...no dream that I am allowed to see."
- — Kanon talking to Jessica about his status as furniture, Turn of the Golden Witch
A young servant.
He performs his duties silently and diligently, but is not so highly regarded as a servant due to his unsociable nature.
There are multiple other servants with the "on" (音) character in their pseudonyms. He and Shannon just happened to be the ones on duty that day.
Kanon appears to be a very weak and frail boy with medium-length dark gray hair and blue eyes. He wears a black shirt with a purple bow in the middle and red shorts. He also wears stripped socks, brown shoes and his signature red hat.
Kanon is a serious and fervent servant, carrying out his master's orders thoroughly. He is also a bit frail and antisocial. He highly disapproves of Shannon's feelings and relationship with George, as he believes they are furniture and thus are not allowed to feel love. Kanon denies any human emotions in himself yet struggles with his feelings for Jessica.
Kanon's antisocial nature is likely a result of him being used as an outlet for YasuS's negative feelings and as a persona Yasu could pretend to be so she could test out what it felt like to be male because of the doubts about her body. This brought her a modest amount of mental stability; Genji and Kumasawa strongly supported this game. In addition, Kanon became a reminder of Yasu being Kinzo's offspring after the truth was revealed to her.
Skills and Abilities Edit
Kanon can manifest a red sword and to shown to have some agility. He can also link up with Shannon to deploy a magic interference field, as shown in Alliance of the Golden Witch when they use it on the Chiesters.
Kanon is an orphan who was raised in the Fukuin House with Shannon acting as his older sister. Like many other Fukuin children, he would later work for the Ushiromiya family.
- Kinzo Ushiromiya (employer)
- Jessica Ushiromiya (love interest)
- Shannon (older sister/alternate persona)
- Beatrice - alternate persona
- Yasuda - true form/persona
Role in the StoryEdit
Found in the boiler room with a weapon resembling an ice-pick sticking out of his chest.
How presumptuous of lowly furniture like that.
Beatrice traps him and Jessica in Jessica's room, summoning goat butlers to kill them. When the goats prove too weak, the Stakes of Purgatory Asmodeus and Satan are summoned, killing Kanon and Jessica for the second twilight. Afterwards, Kanon's body is made to vanish.
The witch erased his corpse for fun. That alone caused an incredible uneasiness among the survivors.
If that which exists resides in the human world, then that which does not exist is truly fantasy.
Fantasy takes the form of what they fear.
There's no corpse. And yet, he's dead.
The witch said so in red. So, he definitely is dead, even though there's no corpse.
Beatrice makes a bet with him: if he can defeat the Seven Stakes of Purgatory, he and one other person won't be killed in the ceremony. He accepts the offer, but fails anyway; he's used in the first twilight in a chain of closed rooms.
His corpse was found in the chapel. The weapon used on him is assumed to be a gun or spear-shaped object.
For Kanon, the chapel. Let him continue to protect the Lord's precious place, even after death.
Battler was not able to find his corpse.
No matter how he's killed with magic, without a corpse, he's a definite suspect. Now that's definitely anti-fantasy.
Therefore, I guarantee his death with the red truth.
Now that's definitely anti-mystery...!
Alive by the time of the game's suspension.
At the climax of the love trial, he has a duel with Shannon and loses. In order to save Battler from his logic error, he enters the closed room and swaps places with him in the closet.
In Bern's fragment, Kanon and Shannon take turns manning the reception desk inside the chapel. Lion doesn't seem to remember their names. After meeting Shannon, Willard asks her to call Kanon so that he can interview them together, but she refuses.
In the Tea Party, Kanon and Battler are introduced to each other in the Rose Garden.
- Yū Kobayashi is the same voice actor as Satoshi Houjou of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni.
- His true name, Yoshiya, actually has a secret meaning.
- One reading of his name is as the number 16, which is possibly a reference to the true number of people on Rokkenjima.
- "Yoshiya" is also "Sayo" flipped around, with an "ai" (meaning "love") in it.
- In Dawn of the Golden Witch, it is revealed that Kanon was on good terms with Kinzo. When the family isn't around, he could turn unbelievably childish or ask Kanon to take a part in his strange pranks. In addition, Kinzo allows Kanon to shoot with his guns a lot. This is further elaborated on in "Confession of the Golden Witch" and that reason was because Kinzo saw the scar on his foot.
- Kanon's birthday being October 6th may represent the day when Yasu "created" Kanon.