Hirukowashi-hen (昼壊し編, lit. Day Breaking Chapter) is an extra arc from Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, set after the main story. It is a visual novel adaptation of the Higurashi Daybreak game as its name puns on and was first released with Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei at Comiket 71 on December 31, 2006.
- Main article: Hirukowashi-hen/Plot Summary
The Beads of Fuwarazu are an ancient artifact that can bring love to whoever holds them. When the artifact is unsealed and Rena accidentally swallows one of the beads, the club attempts to get it back as she relentlessly pursues the holder of the other bead.
Hirukowashi-hen was first released with Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Rei at Comiket 71 on December 31, 2006.
Hirukowashi-hen was rereleased with Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Hou at Comiket 86 on August 17, 2014.
The console ports feature a different version of Hirukowashi-hen which was titled "Alternative Hirukowashi-hen" in Kizuna Volume II. This alternative version has many changes:
- The Minagoroshi character Hanyuu is removed. Meanwhile, Shion, Irie, and Kameda were added.
- Instead of Ooishi obtaining the Beads near the end, it is Irie. As such, the scene where the club battles Ooishi in mahjong over the Beads is changed to the club fighting Irie in baseball for it.
- Several parts are rewritten. The original arc references the Beads potentially causing outbreaks of Hinamizawa Syndrome and has Hanyuu appearing, which are not introduced until Minagoroshi.
- Main article: Daybreak Chapter (episode)
This arc was adapted as episode 5 of the Higurashi When They Cry Rei anime.
- Main article: Hirukowashi-hen (manga)
A manga adaptation by Rechi Kazuki was published on December 22, 2009.