Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou (ひぐらしのなく頃に業 When the Cicadas Cry Karma) is a 2020 Higurashi no Naku Koro ni anime project created by Studio Passione that appears to take place after the events of the original story.
The series was licensed by Funimation for streaming, which originally licensed it under the name Higurashi When They Cry - New. Subsequent advertisements and media changed the title to Higurashi: When They Cry - GOU.*
New kid Keiichi Maebara is settling into his new home of peaceful Hinamizawa village. Making quick friends with the girls from his school, he's arrived in time for the big festival of the year. But something about this isolated town seems "off," and his feelings of dread continue to grow. With a gnawing fear that he's right, what dark secrets could this small community be hiding?
While under a new studio and team, the new anime inherits the composer of the 2006 Studio DEEN adaptation, Kenji Kawai. All music tracks used in the anime so far are from the soundtrack of the previous adaptation. In addition, the official twitter account of the 2006 anime is reused for the promotion of the new anime.
Ryukishi07 was in charge of writing and supervising the 2020 anime. He stated that he included little details that only those who are already familiar with the story would get. The voice actor of Mion, Satsuki Yukino, similarly mentioned that it is something both those who have seen it before and are seeing it for the first time can enjoy. The new series was always intended to be called Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou, something not publicly revealed until the airing of the second episode.
The English subtitling for the anime is done by Katrina Leonoudakis.
Promotion and Release
The new anime project was first announced on January 6, 2020, along with the unveiling of its official website and key production staff. On March 21, the first promotional video for the anime was released, also placing the air date in July 2020. A manga version of the new anime illustrated by Tomato Akase was also announced to be released alongside it. The anime was postponed on May 21 due to production issues caused by COVID-19, and was confirmed for a Fall season release on July 3. A second PV was released on August 21, along with the broadcast information for two cours. A new radio show hosted by Mai Nakahara and Soichirou Hoshi began airing on the online radio station Otoizumi on September 25, 2020.
The first episode of the anime was released on October 1. The first cour of the anime airs on Tokyo MX and BS11 at 23:30 Japan time, and an hour later on Sun TV. The second cour of the anime (episode 14) is slated to begin on January 7, with all broadcast times being an hour later. The dates indicate that there will be a one week break some time before the second cour begins.
The series was marketed as a "new anime project" in both English and Japanese, and the PVs showed only scenes from the original story, with the exception of one new club activity. The first episode also used the opening of the 2006 Higurashi anime as the ending song, while hiding the name of the anime and story arc. With the more distinctly different events of the second episode, the true title of the anime, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou, and the name of the first arc, Onidamashi-hen (officially translated as the Demon Deceiving Chapter) were revealed. The promotional materials and website for the series were also updated accordingly, and a third PV was released.
The series is licensed by Funimation, which airs the English subtitled episodes one hour after the first Japanese broadcast. It is available through the main Funimation site with a subscription in the United States, Canada, the UK, and Ireland, available in Australia and New Zealand via its subsidiary AnimeLab, and available in Europe via its subsidiary Wakanim, which also includes subtitles in German, French, and Russian. The anime is also licensed by Ani-One in several Asian countries, specifically Brunei, Cambodia, Taiwan, India, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Pakistan, the Philippines, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Bangladesh, Nepal, Macau, and Hong Kong, where it is available on the company's Youtube channel free of charge.
The first cour consists of three arcs, each named after one of the first three main story arcs in the same order with the second kanji in the named replaced with damashi (騙, lit. deceiving). Each of them also has the exact same length as their main story counterparts from the 2006 animation series in terms of the number of episodes.
|Japanese VA||English VA|
|Keiichi Maebara||Soichiro Hoshi||Khoi Dao|
|Rena Ryugu||Mai Nakahara||Emi Lo|
|Mion Sonozaki||Satsuki Yukino||Michelle Rojas|
|Satoko Hojo||Mika Kanai||Brittany Lauda|
|Rika Furude||Yukari Tamura||Apphia Yu|
|Shion Sonozaki||Satsuki Yukino||TBA|
|Jirou Tomitake||Toru Okawa||TBA|
|Miyo Takano||Miki Ito||TBA|
|Kyousuke Irie||Toshihiko Seki||TBA|
|Hanyuu||Yui Horie||Xanthe Huynh|
|Teppei Houjou||Katsuhisa Houki||TBA|
|Rumiko Chie||Fumiko Orikasa||Macy Anne Johnson|
Trailers and PVs
- Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Gou Manga Volume 1 (released: November 4, 2020)
- Funimation Fall 2020 Season Preview Ryukishi07: "It may sound weird reiterating that I'm in charge of the original story, but as the creator, I'm in charge of supervising the adaptation as well as writing it."https://youtu.be/gYs7V3xbHE8?t=2935
- Funimation Fall 2020 Season Preview Ryukishi07: "So they won't think, "I've seen the old series, so I don't need to see the new one," we've made sure to include little things here and there that you will only get if you've seen the original anime." https://youtu.be/gYs7V3xbHE8?t=3104
- "Cast Comments" on the official Higurashi anime website Satsuki Yukino: "前に見た事のある方も、初めて見る方も楽しめる内容になってます。" https://higurashianime.com/special02.html
- Translator's Twitter account https://twitter.com/katrinaltrnsl8r/status/1311690498168426497
- Official Higurashi Anime Twitter Account https://twitter.com/higu_anime/status/1214109350588899328
- Tomato Akase's Twitter Account https://twitter.com/zorane_chama/status/1241247568375373825
- Funimation Twitter account https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1279082606559211522
- Official Higurashi Anime Twitter Account https://twitter.com/higu_anime/status/1296461998507675656
- "Higurashi: When They Cry Scores Special Commissioned Key Visual, "True" Anime Title" Funimation https://www.funimation.com/blog/2020/10/08/higurashi-when-they-cry-scores-special-commissioned-key-visual-true-anime-title/
- "Higurashi: When They Cry – GOU English Dub Announced, Cast Revealed" Funimation https://www.funimation.com/blog/2020/11/04/higurashi-when-they-cry-gou-english-dub-announced-cast-revealed/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=org-social&utm_campaign=announcement&utm_content=higurashi-when-they-cry-gou-dub-announce&sf131739668=1
- Official website
- Official Higurashi anime Twitter account
- Higurashi New on Funimation
- Higurashi New on AnimeLab
- Higurashi New on Wakanim
- Ani-One's YouTube channel
- Higurashi New on Hulu