This article or section contains untagged major spoilers for all of Umineko no Naku Koro ni, possibly including the manga. Readers who have not completed the story are advised not to proceed further.
This article attempts to describe solutions to the gameboard's mysteries in Dawn of the Golden Witch. It is primarily based on Erika's theories from the manga version of Twilight of the Golden Witch, which Ryukishi07 has stated to be an official answer from him.
This page only aims to describe the whodunnit and howdunnit of the mysteries. There is a wealth of additional emotional subtext behind many of these scenes that will not be described here due to its greater reliance on reader interpretation of the scenes themselves. We strongly encourage rereading the story in order to discover this for yourself.
Battler and his accomplices were going to perform a murder-mystery prank, but Erika decided to kill people for real.
Before the Murders
Erika landed on the island and met Maria in the garden while the latter was alone around the time Sayo would meet Maria in the first four games. Erika annoyed everyone during dinner. Battler and several others then started their murder-mystery prank, but Erika tried to kill them all.
- [Request: 'The rooms with the six people in them are all closed ROOMS'] Acknowledged.
- [Request: 'The definition of closed room implies that it is impossible to construct from the OUTSIDE'.] Acknowledged.
- [Request: 'The definition of a closed room implies that all forms of interference that pass between the inside and outside of the room are PREVENTED'.] Acknowledged.
- [Request: 'At the time of the deconstruction of the closed rooms, none existed within the rooms except the VICTIMS (Natsuhi, Eva, Kyrie, Rosa, Maria, Battler)'.] Acknowledged.
- [Request: 'After the deconstruction of the closed rooms, then excluding me, only Krauss, Rudolf, Hideyoshi, and Gohda entered the rooms'.] Acknowledged.
- Krauss, Rudolf, Hideyoshi, and Gohda...were not involved in the murders of Natsuhi, Eva, Kyrie, Rosa, Maria, and Battler.
- [Request: 'the victims did not die by any method other than HOMICIDE'.] Acknowledged.
- [Request: 'The six first twilight victims are located at the places where they were discovered. Natsuhi is in her room, Eva is in the VIP room, Kyrie is in Krauss's study, Rosa and Maria are in the parlor, and [Battler is] in the guest room!'] I acknowledge it.
- [Request: 'Hideyoshi, George, Shannon, Kumasawa, and Nanjo are in the next room over!'] Acknowledged. ("The next room over" refers to the barricaded room next to the cousin room)
- [It has already been shown that Kinzo no longer exists, so please remove him from the word 'everyone'.] I acknowledge that everyone else is in the cousin room.
- By the seals on the doors and windows, the complete sealing of both the cousin room and the next room over has been GUARANTEED.
Battler, Eva, Kyrie, Natsuhi, Rosa, and Maria locked themselves inside of rooms and pretended to be dead. After everyone had destroyed the chains and gone inside, Erika sealed Battler's room with duct tape after checking his corpse the first time and decapitated the other victims.
Erika then sealed the other survivors inside separate rooms in the guesthouse.
Second Twilight (The Letter and Battler's Room)
- We have confirmed that the seals to the guest room are UNDAMAGED. Since the time Lady Erika confirmed Battler's presence, this closed room has been PRESERVED.
- Ushiromiya Battler is not on the bed.
- Knox's 3rd. It is forbidden for hidden passages to exist.
- No hidden places that are impossible for Erika-san to find exist inside the guest room.
- Except for one location, there is no one to be seen in the BEDROOM.
- No one was seen in the BATHROOM.
- Except for one location, Battler does not exist in anywhere inside the guest room.
- Ushiromiya Battler does not exist within the guest room. ...There are no exceptions, including the closet.
- ...At that time, I immediately closed the door, reset the chain, and sealed this room.
- Erika repaired the chain lock.
- Erika used that packing tape to join the two cut ends of the chain together, 'sealing' them. In other words, the chain was repaired by the packing tape, and this room once again became a closed room locked from the inside.
- The use of the duct tape wasn't limited by the number of strips, right? It was by the number of rooms. ...The only restriction was to limit it to only three rooms. ...Erika chose this guest room to be one of those rooms. So, Erika has the right to seal as many places as many times as she wants within this room.
- I proclaim that the chain lock has been repaired by the duct tape seal and has regained its original functionality. And, thanks to that, [Erika] locked the room upon entering it and made this guest room a closed room from the inside once more.
- Battler does not exist within the guest room.
- The lock caused by the chain is intact.
- USHIROMIYA KYRIE CANNOT SAVE BATTLER.
- Ushiromya Natsuhi cannot save Battler.
- Ushiromiya Eva cannot save Battler.
- USELESS. Rosa and Maria can't save him EITHER.
- Knox's 7th. ......It is...forbidden for the detective to be the culprit.
- So, [Erika] dashed through the chaos-filled mansion, visited all the crime scenes, and...re-killed all of them.
- She completely severed the heads of all those she killed.
- All five people [Erika] killed...were very much alive until the moment [she] killed them.
- Please, allow me to speak. Know that neither is broken. (This and two truths below refer to the seals on the cousin room and the next room over doors).
- Know that an unbroken seal proves that there are still none who have entered or exited.
- It needs no second telling, but know that entry or exit without breaking the seal is impossible!!
- ...First, this room is a closed room created from the inside. The seals on the windows are intact, so there can be no escape through there. Of course, there is no way to escape by leaving through the bathroom. ...I'll make it simple. There is no exit to escape from except for this door. However, the chain lock on this door is set. You can unset and reset it all you want, but you can only do so from the inside. Furthermore, you are free to go out through the door, but you cannot leave or escape while the chain lock is unset.
- IMPOSSIBLE. The window seals were also INTACT. Of course, this is at the time of the logic ERROR. (This and the two truths below are in response to Gaap's blue truth that Kanon could escape the next room over through the window)
- Know that it is forbidden for blue truth to be used if based on the argument that the window seals of the next room over were torn at the time of the logic error.
- Know that the opposing side is under no obligation to respond to the aforementioned blue truth...!
- The one who rescued Battler was, without a doubt, Kanon.
- Battler and Kanon are different people.
- The cousin room is guaranteed to be a perfect closed room until the end.
- It is true that the next room over was sealed, but at the time of the logic error, only the doors were checked to see whether the seals were preserved.
- At the time the next room over was sealed, Hideyoshi, George, Kumasawa, Shannon, and Nanjo were in it. And, the number of people in the next room over was five. No one existed there except for those to whom those five names referred! All people can only use their own names!!
- At the time Battler was rescued, only Kanon entered the guest room.
- I acknowledge it. From the time [Erika] entered the room to the time of the logic error, [Erika], Battler, and Kanon were the only ones who went in or out of the guest room.
- I acknowledge it. It refers to three people: [Erika], Battler, and Kanon.
- Of course. Three people--in other words, three bodies--went in or out. Only [Erika] and Kanon entered, and only Battler left. It has already been said in red that all people can only use their own names. Therefore, the names Erika, Battler, and Kanon can only be used by those people.
- [Request: 'Erika is not the rescuer.'] Of course! You are the detective, are you not? Don't worry, I will respect that!
- I'll define 'rescuer' to mean any person who reset the chain lock after Battler unset it. This definition applies whether said person intended to rescue Battler or not.
- [Request: 'Going in or out refers to when someone crosses the boundary between the guest room and the area outside it.'] I acknowledge it.
- [Request: 'By the guest room, we're referring to the entirety of the bedroom, the bathroom, and the closet.'] I acknowledge it.
- [Confirming definition. The inside of the guest room is divided into three sections: the bedroom, the bathroom, and the closet.] I also recognize it as such. Furthermore, you have already confirmed with the red truth that two of those sections, the bedroom and the bathroom, had no one hiding in them.
- The game ended while [Erika] was inside the guest room, so [she] did not undo the chain lock that [she] had previously set. So, it can't be that [Battler] escaped behind [Erika's] back after [she] left the room. Furthermore, the chain lock was set at the same time [Erika] entered the room. No one could have left the room during the few seconds between the time [Erika] entered and the time [she] set the chain lock.
- The guest room was sealed at the time that Battler's 'corpse' was examined, so until [Erika] came again and broke the seals, it was absolutely impossible for anyone to go in or out. Therefore, when [Erika] entered the room, it is certain that Battler was hiding somewhere inside the guest room.
- The only chance Battler had to escape was after [Erika] broke the seals. To be even more specific, he had no chance to escape except for the time [Erika] was in the bathroom.
- Kanon does not exist in the bedroom.
- Kanon does not exist in the guest room. ......Of course, this includes all parts of the closet, the bedroom, and the bathroom.
Red Truths (Manga)
- Only Kanon himself can use his name! Kanon is the rescuer!
|Next Room Over||Cousin Room|
|Erika, Hideyoshi, George, Shannon, Kumasawa, and Nanjo||Krauss, Rudolf, Jessica, Genji, and Gohda|
Shannon was observed by Erika to be in the next room over, and "everyone else" (a vague term) was said to be in the cousin room. Kanon was assumed to be in the cousin room as part of the definition of everyone, but Erika never personally inspected the cousin room to see who was actually inside. Everything depicted to happen in the cousin room could be made up because no detective was present and Krauss, Rudolf, Jessica, Genji, and Gohda were all likely accomplices of the prank.
The reds confirm that the cousin room had intact window seals at the time of the logic error, but it is not stated that the next room over was the same way. Sayo/Shannon changed into Kanon, escaped the next room over through the window and placed the letter outside the guesthouse for Erika to find.
While Erika was distracted inside the bathroom, Battler unset the chain to his room and let Kanon in. After Battler left the room, Kanon reset the chain and hid in the closet. Sayo then killed off her Kanon persona.
The game was suspended after this point.
The True Number of Humans and the Competition for Love
- Hi, pleased to meet you! I am Furudo Erika, the detective!! I may be an uninvited guest, but please, welcome me!!
- I am the visitor, the 18th human on Rokkenjima!!
- Even if you do join us-
- That makes 17 humans.
Red Truths (Manga)
- In the duel during the 6th game, you two made a statement on the number of people in red. There are 17!
- Kinzo is dead, and Erika Furudo makes only seventeen.
When Battler made his declaration about the number of humans, he did so with the intent of naming the amount of bodies on the island. Erika's declaration was done with the intent of naming the names of people on the island. Shannon and Kanon are recognized as names, but they are personas belonging to the same body. In other words, the total number of living human bodies on the island during the first four games is actually 16.
Only one of the three pairs of lovers can succeed because Shannon, Kanon, and Beatrice are all different personas of the same physical body. One of them leaving with either George, Jessica, or Battler means the other two personas will not be able to stay together with their lovers.
- Say It In Red! An Interview with Ryukishi07 Ryukishi07: "By no means is the manga version a individual interpretation. It is an official answer from me, Ryukishi07."
- The game results for Dawn list Kanon as having died in the second twilight.
- Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga) Chapter 19: Black Cat's Claw Marks 4. Erika: "I thought it was weird. Why was I able to speak out the contradictory red of being the 18th one during the duel? That was you declaring the 'number of bodies' and me, without intent, declaring the 'number of names' right?! There are humans who carry two names referring to one body. That is the true shape of the logic that is the number of people...!!" Erika's statement is not countered against.