|This article is about an organization in Ciconia When They Cry.|
The Central Ocean Union (環中央洋連合) (COU) is a faction consisting primarily of Eastern Asian countries.
A faction formed around an alliance between COU China and COU India, two new superpowers that rose near the end of the B3W period.
It was formed as a reaction to the AOU's push for a return to the old world order. For that reason, it has stood in opposition to the AOU ever since its founding.
They're the only one of the factions that maintains their B3W sense of values, and they claim to be the only group of nations where ancient traditions and the human heart still live on.
That might be why they tend to look down on other nations, calling them cold-blooded and inhumane.
It's said to be a country where connections and money do all the talking, and the other factions view it as corrupt.
The COU Joint Parliament governs the faction as a whole. They've adopted a policy of taking preemptive action in military disputes.
The Central Ocean Union members consist of primarily east Asian nations, with China and India being the original members of the faction. In addition, Madagascar is a member.
Following the formation of the Abrahamic Brother Nations; the COU, wanting to envelop all nations surrounding the Central Ocean, forced several nations in the Middle East to join them, namely around the Arabian peninsula.
- Japan (Split in half by the Glass Sea, with the southern part belonging to the COU)
- Saudi Arabia
Unlike the AOU, children in the COU are born traditionally (ciconia-born) instead of in factories. Family is thus held in high regard, and young people will often submit to what their elders say.
The COU Combined Military HQ manages both the Gauntlet Knights and standard infantry.
Aerial Augmented Infantry
In an effort to bolster numbers following the drone attacks, many trainee Gauntlet users are rushed into service.
AOU Japan and COU Japan have had a shared responsibility in maintaining the Glass Sea as a World War Relic. After discovering that Rare Spiritium was contained there, COU Japan started building military bases to occupy the area while AOU Japan opposed them.
The Kashmir Spirit Field is a source of dispute between the COU and the ABN, stemming from previous conflicts. Each faction claims it as their territory, with tensions being further exacerbated by the ABN performing illegal mining operations and introducing anti-aircraft weaponry.
Skirmishes between COU India and ACR Libya also break out for unclear reasons.
LATO appoints several politicians from every faction, including the COU's own Tiankai Liu, as provisional directors for the signing of a peace treaty. However, most of them are killed in an explosion accident at the IPMA HQ.
LATO later arranges a second simultaneous global truce and pulls it off with no problems.
- Lingji Liu's bio, Phase 1
- Sujatha's bio, Phase 1
- Inferred from Phase 1, Chapter 3: It's a Wrap Public Bath. It is said that the International Battle Standard Festival of that year was held in Gifu Prefecture in AOU Japan. Present-day Gifu Prefecture is located north to the described location of the Glass Sea.
- Aysha's bio, Phase 1
- Inferred from Phase 1, Chapter 24: A Kids' Meal of Natural Disasters, given it is the country of origin for Kozèko Squad.
- From Data Fragment 9: Earthquake Restoration Lottery; Phase 1
- Rukhshana's bio, Phase 1
- Andry's bio, Phase 1
- Phase 1, Chapter 18: God's Scenario
- From Chapter 14: The Value and True Weight of Peace; Phase 1
- From Chapter 24: A Kids' Meal of Natural Disasters; Phase 1
- From Chapter 17: Don't Die, Don't Kill; Phase 1
- From Chapter 22: The Second Simultaneous Global Truce; Phase 1
- From Chapter 7: The Three Kings; Phase 1
- From Chapter 10: Simultaneous Global Conflicts; Phase 1
- From Chapter 18: God's Scenario; Phase 1
- From Chapters 19 and 20; Phase 1
- From Chapter 25: The Hour of the Prophecy; Phase 1