|This article is about a character in Higanbana no Saku Yoru ni.|
Aya Souma (相馬あや) is the protagonist of Reaper of the Thirteenth Step. Aya is a girl who lost the will to live, but continued to do so because she didn't want anything other than a peaceful, sleep-like death. After hearing the rumors of the thirteen steps, she tests it out and accidentally steps on the thirteenth step, forcing her to participate in Izanami's game.
Personality & Background
At the beginning of the story, Aya seems to question many of her problems, especially asking herself what her purpose in life is. She constantly hopes for a painless death, always finding that easier than living with no purpose; she believes that her life is boring as it repeats every day with no change.
After hearing of the legend of the Thirteenth Step, she tries it out and winds up earning Izanami's attention. She manages to survive his game and becomes school famous, in regards to sports.
It appears she has no real idea that her gym teacher is the demon she beat, however, she pins it on him.
- Izanami (Tormentor)
- Michiru Sakurada (Spiritual Guide)
- Sakunoshin (Helper indirectly through Michiru)
- Higanbana (Acquaintance)
- Aya is the only other person to have discovered the loophole in Izanami's game.
- She is the only character explicitly shown to ask Michiru for help.
- Aya is originally a supernatural skeptic
- She's one of the few characters to not suffer from bullying nor exclusion