This article or section contains untagged major spoilers for all of Umineko no Naku Koro ni, possibly including the manga. Readers who have not completed the story are advised not to proceed further.
This article attempts to describe solutions to the gameboard's mysteries in Alliance of the Golden Witch. It is primarily based on content from the manga versions of the final two arcs, which Ryukishi07 has stated to be an official answer from him.
Willard's solutions and the elaborations in the Requiem of the Golden Witch manga are the most direct solutions and are taken verbatim from the story. In addition, the page will contain additional information as well as solutions to other mysteries based interviews, side materials, and story content from analogous scenes in the Twilight of the Golden Witch manga. Clair's descriptions of the mysteries are also listed whenever they exist.
This page only aims to describe the whodunnit and howdunnit of the mysteries. There is a wealth of additional emotional subtext behind many of these scenes that will not be described here due to its greater reliance on reader interpretation of the scenes themselves. We strongly encourage rereading the story in order to discover this for yourself.
|Culprit||Sayo Yasuda, who appears as Shannon, Kanon, and Beatrice.|
|Common Accomplices||Genji Ronoue, Chiyo Kumasawa, Terumasa Nanjo, and Maria Ushiromiya.|
|Accomplice Roulette||Everybody except Battler Ushiromiya.|
|X||Different coconspirators each time.|
All adults are in need of money. Buying their cooperation is easy.
|Y||Any lies that all parties agree upon are depicted as reality.|
Even better when it pertains to locked rooms. Those who see golden butterflies are either on the culprit’s side or dead. Those who haven’t been bought off will not see the butterflies until thirty minutes before their death.
|Z||Someone please stop me.|
I won’t pray for absolute certainty. I want you to solve it, so I won’t put too much pressure on you. Winning by killing everyone or losing by having my mystery solved are both outcomes I desire.
Before the Murders
Sayo enlists the help of Kumasawa and Nanjo in setting up a fake murder mystery for Battler. Genji is told the true nature of Sayo's murder-suicide plan, but still pledges his cooperation due to his loyalty and a sense of guilt for having contributed to Sayo's suffering.
Sayo gave Maria an umbrella and told her to lie that Kinzo had given it to her. Sayo then gathered everyone in the dining hall of the mansion and made them accomplices in her plan. It is unknown if Sayo shut off the switchboard for the phones, as the internal line was used and it is not clear if Battler attempted to use the external line.
Fourth game, first twilight. A massacring storm sweeps through the dining hall.
- All of those who met at the family conference acknowledged the presence of Kinzo!
- No person would mistake Ushiromiya Kinzo by sight. No matter what disguise might be used, they would not mistake Ushiromiya Kinzo by sight!
- Kinzo's life or death status is the same at the start of all our games. The setup was not different for the fourth game alone...!
- Kinzo is already dead at the starting time for all games!
- Before now, I have proclaimed that no more than 18 humans exist on this island. I will lower that by one for Kinzo!! No more than 17 humans exist on this island!! That excludes any 18th person. In short, this 18th person X does not exist!!This applies to all games!!!
Red Truths (Manga)
- Van Dine's twelfth rule: There can only be one main culprit.
- Van Dine's seventh rule: There cannot be a crime without a body.
|Will's Solution||Illusions to illusions. ...Tales woven by the gold truth return to illusions.|
|Manga Description||Every person apart from Battler was bought off. The "otherworldly beings" were a fiction agreed upon by the conspirators.|
|Additional Information||As part of Sayo's scenario, the family agreed on a story that Kinzo was using magic to kill people. Sayo then killed Natsuhi, Eva, Hideyoshi, Rudolf, and Rosa with Genji's help, whom she later killed.
The faces of the victims were destroyed by firing at them at point blank with the 00 buckshot from a sawn-off M1897 Winchester, with the amount of gunpowder carefully balanced to blow off only half of their faces.
Gohda and Kumasawa later went to the guesthouse and told Battler that witches and demons were real.
Fourth game, second twilight. The two youths face their trials and pass away together.
|Will's Solution||Illusions to illusions. ...Tales woven by the gold truth return to illusions.|
|Manga Description||They were merely acting in accordance with the script.|
|Additional Information||Jessica and George were called to different locations and given tests. George met Shannon in the rose garden arbor and was shot and killed.
Afterwards, Jessica spoke to Battler over the phone in her room while Kanon held a gun to her head. She told Battler that she'll be killed, demons are real, and that George was dead. Jessica was then shot and killed with half of her face destroyed, just like on the first twilight.
Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Seventh, and Eighth Twilights
Fourth game, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, and eighth twilights. None of the runaways are left alive.
- Kanon is dead. Among the five people in Kyrie's group, he was the first to die. In short, he was the 9th victim.
|Will's Solution||Earth to earth. Illusions to illusions. ...Silent corpses, adorned by fiction.|
|Manga Description||The demons and witches are all false testimony. The bodies say nothing.|
|Additional Information||The red truth confirms that the eight victims of the first two twilights were indeed killed before Kanon, Shannon, Nanjo, Krauss, and Kyrie.
Sayo killed off Kanon as a persona and then shot and killed Nanjo, Krauss, and Kyrie. Just like on the first twilight, half of Krauss and Nanjo's faces were destroyed.
Kyrie spoke to Battler over the phone, telling him that a golden thread was attacking her and to believe in witches before being killed by Sayo. After killing her, Sayo likely fired several times into the floor to support Kyrie's story. Stakes were then inserted into Krauss and Kyrie's wounds and dropped near Nanjo.
- Six years ago, no person called Beatrice existed for [Battler].
- The sin I am now demanding that you remember is not between Ushiromiya Battler and Beatrice.
- Ushiromiya Battler has a sin
- Because of your sin, people die.
- Due to your sin, a great many humans of this island die. No one escapes, all die.
Battler's sin was forgetting his promise to Shannon. Six years ago, he visited Rokkenjima and promised Shannon that he would come back for her, just as mentioned in the previous episode. Due to his fight with Rudolf after Asumu's death, Battler forgot and thus broke his promise.
While Beatrice existed as a persona of Sayo before Battler made that promise, he did not know about it and Sayo did not make Beatrice carry Shannon's love for Battler until 1983. After Sayo learned that Battler will visit Rokkenjima again on Oct 4, 1986, she planned out this massacre. By the time this conversation took place, Sayo had killed a number of people.
- My name is Ushiromiya Battler
- I am the Golden Witch, Beatrice. And I opened this game in order to fight Ushiromiya Kinzo's grandchild, Ushiromiya Battler.
- Ushiromiya Battler's mother is Ushiromiya Asumu
- My name is Ushiromiya Battler
- It was from Ushiromiya Asumu that Ushiromiya Battler was born.
- [Repetition request: 'It was from Ushiromiya Asumu that you were born.'] It was from Ushiromiya......nguh, ......?!...?!?!"
- I am Ushiromiya Battler...!
- It was from Ushiromiya Asumu that...ah, ngagh, ...nnnggghh...!!!
- You are not Ushiromiya Asumu's son
Battler's biological mother is Kyrie. Asumu and Kyrie both gave birth on the same day, but Asumu had a miscarriage. Rudolf, already engaged to Asumu at the time, bribed the doctor to switch the results. Battler grew up believing Asumu was his biological mother as a result.
The baby that Asumu was supposed to give birth to was intended to be named Battler Ushiromiya, hence why Beatrice can repeat it in red without any issue.
Fourth game, ninth twilight. And none shall be left alive.
|Will's Solution||Earth to earth. Illusions to illusions. ...When fiction is shut up inside a cat box, it becomes truth.|
|Manga Description||There are no survivors left to deny the witch's fantasy.|
|Additional Information||Sayo spoke to Battler over the phone while using her Beatrice voice and called him to the mansion. She then wore a Beatrice outfit and blond wig while speaking to Battler on the balcony and gave him the test.
Sayo threw Kinzo's body into the boiler room incinerator. She then went to the storehouse and asked Gohda and Kumasawa to open it from inside. Sayo shot and killed the two of them, then swapped the tags on the keys and put the fake storehouse key inside Gohda's pocket. She relocked the storehouse with the real key.
Shannon positioned a gun underneath the entrance to the tunnels such that it would fall inside once she fired. Just like on the first twilight, half of Shannon's face was destroyed.
Who am I?
- Ushiromiya Battler. I will now...kill you.
- And right now, there is no one other than you on this island. The only one alive on this island is you. Nothing outside the island can interfere.
- You are all alone on this island. And of course, I am not you. Yet I am here, now, and am about to kill you.
|Will's Solution||Illusions...to illusions. ...The promised reaper lowers the curtains on the tale regardless of the witch's will.|
|Manga Description||That specter of death is me.|
|Additional Information||The bomb was activated sometime on the second day. Once the clock struck 24:00, it triggered the activation of 900 tons of explosives, killing Battler and leaving none alive.
Additionally, the cast list of this episode puts Maria's death on the tenth twilight, which is used exclusively for those who supposedly die from the explosion in the first three episodes. However, the red truths suggest she was already dead when the explosion happened.
Rule Y comes into effect after 23:30 of Oct 5., as Battler sees Beatrice walking down the stairs because Those who haven’t been bought off will not see the butterflies until thirty minutes before their death.
- Say It In Red! An Interview with Ryukishi07 Ryukishi07: "By no means is the manga version a individual interpretation. It is an official answer from me, Ryukishi07."
- Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga). Chapter 24: Confession of the Golden Witch 3. Kumasawa and Nanjo: "Oh? A pretend murder? Of course we will play along!"
- Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga). Chapter 24: Confession of the Golden Witch 3. Sayo: "Even if I told you that I wanted to die along with the rest of the family?" Genji: "It was my fault that you were placed under such incredible pressure in the first place. I, Genji, will serve you to the very end."
- Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga) Chapter 24: Confession of the Golden Witch 3. Sayo: "Adoring the witch, she would do whatever I tell her, and there lies a taste of truth in the words of a true believer like her. She would surely take the role of confusing the people on the scene as well as thickening the presence of the witch."
- 'Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga) Chapter 24: Confession of the Golden Witch 3. Sayo: "But I don't need to go through all these laborious methods when I have the golden magic spell of matching stories! With my magic......I can pull off any locked-room trick......any corpse disappearing trick......any impossible murder, and frame anyone I want!!"
- Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga) Chapter 24: Confession of the Golden Witch 3 Sayo: "The adults will most likely gather in one place until late into the night of the fourth for their meeting. Killing them will be easy. I can throw the bodies into the storehouse, where I'll have already drawn a magic circle. A sawed-off rifle will blow off half their faces without leaving an obvious bullet wound."
- Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga) Chapter 8: The Halloween Party 3. Kinzo: "And this is M1897 is a shotgun that fires double-O-buckshot, more powerful than a .410 gauge. [...] But when a sawed-off shotgun is fired, the pellets practically explode out of the muzzle. [...] Your head would be blown off easily. It would look as though a witch or demon had chewed your face right off of your skull."
- Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga) Chapter 8: The Halloween Party 3. Kinzo: "A careful balancing of the amount of powder, and you might be able to blow off half of the face instead [of the whole face]."
- Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga) Chapter 24: Confession of the Golden Witch 3. Sayo: "I should test whether they truly fulfill my expectations." The background shows George meeting Shannon outside, with the next panel showing her killing George in Banquet of the Golden Witch. It is likely that a similar scene happened for George's death in Alliance.
- Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga) Chapter 24: Confession of the Golden Witch 3. Sayo: "I should test whether they truly fulfill my expectations." The background shows Jessica reading the test while on the phone.
- Banquet of the Golden Witch. Chapter 2: My Preparations Are Complete. Jessica: "Shannon. By the way, what was Battler like six years ago? Remember any interesting episodes?" Shannon: "Let's see. ...I'm sure that he said something like this when he left. `I'll be back, <see you again>. I'll surely come for you riding a white horse'."
- Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga) Chapter 24: Confession of the Golden Witch 3. Sayo: "But on the other hand it might also become very enjoyable to present myself as the actual living Beatrice."
- Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga) Chapter 24: Confession of the Golden Witch 3. Sayo: "Otherwise I could attach a misleading tag to the wrong key and place it in a room...Even if I was to lock the room from the outside, then the illusion of a locked room wouldn't be broken. Since nobody except the servants would be able to discern a true key of this mansion from a fake one in the first place.".
- Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga) Chapter 24: Confession of the Golden Witch 3. Sayo: "Yes, Maria is my most precious accomplice, who I promised to take to the Golden Land. I would never allow for her body to be disgraced. She must rest in peace." The background shows Maria in her death position from Alliance with pills floating inside a cup.
- Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga) Chapter 24: Confession of the Golden Witch 3. Sayo: "I would just have to place a stake beforehand...then the illusion of the witch would prevail beyond my death, wouldn't it!"
- Twilight of the Golden Witch (manga) Chapter 24: Confession of the Golden Witch 3. Sayo: "Of course there is also the method of locking the door from the inside and then committing suicide to create a locked-room. You tie the gun to a string of wire and the blast from the shot will catapult it back behind a piece of furniture to hide it." The background shows Shannon shooting herself above the entrance to the tunnels.